Re: Oracle Vs SAP Round 1

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle.rdbms@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 09:24:56 -0700

List,

I think there is something about the ERP marketplace that you don't
understand. There is a tradition in the ERP market that the customer is
given the source code. I used to work for a major ERP vendor and all
customers had source code. In fact, patches were distributed as lines of
COBOL and editing instructions. Many customers modify the vendor's code in
minor or major ways, which creates a real headache for upgrades. Some
customers modify the source code so much that it isn't fesable to upgrade.
   I believe most ERP vendors are working on better methods for customers
to add modifications than direct modification of source code such as
APIs, mainly for selfish reasons. Once a customer decides they've modified
so far they can no longer upgrade, they'll probably stop paying maintenance
fees.

Dennis Williams