Oracle 11.2.1.3 Without upgrading Solaris OS to Sol 10 u6 as recommended by Oracle ???

  • From: "Pankaj Jain" <pjain@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>, "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 15:23:20 -0400

Has any body run into any issue by doing following ?
We have installed successfully 11.2 software on our database servers
having Solaris Sparc 64 bit server and "Sol 10 u5" OS, even though
oracle recommend 11 u6, which we don't want since it is increasing our
downtime drastically.

Server name

OS version

Succeeded

 Server A

Sol 10 u5

Yes

 Server B

Sol 10 u7 ( higher patch level then  recommended by oracle )

NO

Server on Which 11.2 installation was successful, following
Prerequisites were not met :

- OS kernel version ( should be at least 5.10-2008.10 , and is
5.10-2008.03 )
- OS Patch 119963-14
- OS Patch 120753-06
- OS Patch 124861-15
- OS Patch 139574-03

These prerequisites were ignored , and the installation succeeded.

On the Server B ( failed ) installation the Prerequisites that were not
met were the following :

- OS Patch 119963-14
- OS Patch 120753-06
- OS Patch 124861-15

i.e - only a subset of the above.( notice that the OS kernel version
requirement was met here )

These prerequisites were ignored During the installation got several
errors about not being able to create soft links.  I went ahead and
created these soft links myself - there were about 10 or so of them.
After that the installation on "Server B " was successful as well.

Now the question is is it safe to conclude that we do not need any OS
upgrade to patch level 6, 7 or 8 if we intend to upgrade our 10g
production servers into 11gR2 ?? Guru's need your insight here,
predicting which component of Oracle might fail in this way. !!!

Pankaj Jain

iBasis a KPN Company

10 Second Avenue, Burlington, MA 01803

Work (781) 505-7925   Cell (978) 987-0004   Fax (781) 505-7382,

Email: pjain@xxxxxxxxxx <blocked::mailto:pjain@xxxxxxxxxx>  ;
9789870004@xxxxxxxxx

Simplicity is approaching life's complications with a clear and balanced
mind, that is free from desires.