RE: Oracle 10g upgrade - performance issue

  • From: "Johnson, George" <GJohnson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <peterdixon001@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:06:08 +0100

        My tuppence worth...

        After our upgrade from 9206 to 10201, we ended up with these params
making the biggest difference to our slow query performance. The index_cost_adj
figure was arrived at after about 2 days of testing various troublesome
queries.

optimizer_secure_view_merging   = false
_gby_hash_aggregation_enabled   = FALSE
optimizer_index_cost_adj        = 50
optimizer_index_caching         = 0
_optimizer_cost_based_transformation = OFF

        Of course these were set after we had exhausted the list of badly
performing queries and we were starting to get desperate. They were all advised
by various Oracle consultants we spoke to, they were all tested in our Test and
Dev copies before going up to Prod.

        We were told by one Oracle guy that if your DB is not a warehouse and
it's used batch and OLTP, the bottom four parameters should be set in 10g,
without question to ensure the Warehouse components do not affect OLTP type
activity! The value for cost_adj needs to be adjusted slightly to get it right
for your kit.

        Rgds