Re: Ora Apps ERD's

  • From: Nigel Thomas <nigel_cl_thomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:53:02 -0800 (PST)

Jared wrote:

Oracle Apps - Not quite as sure about it, but I believe its origins
predate the use of referential integrity in the database.

I can confirm that; first apps development was in 1987-8 on Oracle 5.1 moving
later to 6. No FKs even in the dictionary - and anyway configurable code
combinations and flexfields (and the whole Application Foundation doodah) tend
to push the work off the server into the application (even now). I've posted
more here:
http://preferisco.blogspot.com/2007/02/schema-models-fk-constraints-and-oracle.html
 if anyone is interested in industrial archeology on the subject.

Regards Nigel