Re: Ora Apps ERD's

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 09:31:58 -0800

On 2/11/07, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Oracle E-Business Suite is the second ERP package that I have worked
with in anger. Neither of them use relational integrity constraints in
the database. At least one reason that was given to me was precisely
so that they could avoid their customers reverse engineering their
design. In addition it means that you pretty much have to used
published APIs and tools to work with the database.

I am somewhat familiar with SAP, Oracle Apps and Lawson

Lawson - Legacy Mainframe app. V/ISAM files copied to tables
SAP - Same as Lawson

Oracle Apps - Not quite as sure about it, but I believe its origins
predate the use of referential integrity in the database.

I first started with Apps 9.x, but I don't recall too much of what
the tables looked like.  After upgrading from 10.7 to 11i, it doesn't
appear that much has changed in the tables, at least the few tables
I work with directly.  Additions, yes, but I don't think wholesale changes
to the schema

This could be mistaken, as I am only familiar with some of the HR tables.
Other modules may have much more change.

--
Jared Still