Re: One large tablespace.

  • From: bill thater <shrekdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tom.Terrian@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:47:17 -0600

> 1.  Creating 1 large locally managed tablespace (uniform extent size of 4m)
> with a datafile on each mount point for all of our data and indexes.
> Interesting.
>

> 2.  Creating lots of locally managed tablespaces with different uniform
> extent sizes (128k, 4m, 128m) with datafiles on each mount point.
>

> Certainly option 2 is the more traditional approach but is there anything
> wrong with option 1.  Is it slower?  Harder to maintain?  Any type of file
> locking problems?

you get the standard Oracle answer "it depends.";-)

the problem i can see with option 1 is that there would be a lot of
lost space if the data doesn't fint into the 4m size.  my preference
is for option 2 for the reason i can taylor the extent sizes to match
the type of data i'm putting in them.  however this is a moot point if
the data you're dealing with fits the larger extent sizes well.

Bill "Shrek" Thater     ORACLE DBA
       shrekdba@xxxxxxxxx
"Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.