Re: One large tablespace.

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tom.Terrian@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:42:12 +0000

Hi Tom,

The primary reason for multiple tablespaces is management, not performance.

Case in point - a large table that grows extensively and has large amounts
of data periodically removed. Managing space for this table and it's indexes
is less work for the DBA if it is separated from more stable objects in the
DB.

Need to reclaim the space from removing half the data in the table?
No problem - build it in a new tablespace and blow the old one away.
This becomes a bit more work if there are other objects in the TBS.

Partitioning is another example.

HTH

Jared

--