OT: MySQL Books

  • From: "MacGregor, Ian A." <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 09:18:33 -0700

I need recommendations on the best book(s) for learning MySQL.  There =
are more and more folks using products which do not support Oracle.  =
Also the transactionless myISAM type database is very attractive to =
folks working on projects such as the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope =
which should produce a petabyte of data daily.  They won't be taking =
data until 2012 so 1 PB per year might be routine by then. =20

Nothing is settled and Oracle may be in the running.  The system to =
collect the data needs to be in place by 2010.  So even if MySQL is =
picked at first that could easily be changed.   The head of the database =
committee for LSST showed me a business card he had gotten at last =
month's MySQL conference in Santa Clara, and asked if I recognized the =
name on it.  The name was Ken Jacobs.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=20