Re: OEM justification

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:14:27 +0100

Ohhhh that makes my hackles rise! Almost as much in fact as the EM licensing
arrangements. I've worked in govt and quasi-govt shops for over ten years.
We never had any real money. I suspect, from the posts from the various US
govt bods using SE on this list that the same maybe true in the US as well -
outside of the military maybe.

On the other hand I've met folks from Banks with pretty much every db an EE
db on RAC, I went for a most interesting interview with the UK's leading
online gaming company who bought new servers at least every 6 months..

There are cash rich organisations and there are cash-strapped organisations,
there are profligate and parsimonious organisations. their ownership varies
considerably.

Niall

On 3/27/07, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Make that 3.

3.  Governments.  It isn't their money anyway.

On 3/27/07, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:

> On 3/27/07, Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx < Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx >
> wrote:
> >
> > Oh No, say it isn't so.   I just came down to earth considering a
> > proposal for diagnostics and tuning.  This definitely means yet
> > another
> > pack!  These guys are going to say 'you do it'... you do it so well
> > now
> > :), and it's already paid for.....     Hmmm, I thought that part could
> >
> > be done with the free portion of OEM.
> >

> My suspicion is that there are 2 types of customers where one will
> find that the various packs are added on without much argument:
>
> 1. Large data centers with large numbers of databases (100+?)
>
> 2. Data centers that are accustomed to mainframe software and
> HW pricing and find the add on packs a bargain.
>
> That's my guess anyway.
>
> And Oracle is apparently hitting sales targets for these things.
> If they weren't, I would have expected a price drop.
>
> --
> Jared Still

Jared Still

Niall Litchfield