Re: Novell/MSFT

  • From: Bob <orcl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 07:29:20 -0500

Hi, sorry about my poorly written email... What I was referring to was that google is steamrolling MSFT, using tools like

http://www.google.com/options/

Look mid page on the right, that is google's deployment of open office, it’s a very nice tool that should be the next big thing ;-)
I use it and it works incredibly well.

My whole point was that MS is falling back technologically (mainly to google) but also Linux and Oracle as well, SQL server doesn’t run on *NIX which rules about (I’m guessing... 2/3) of enterprise environments, so... even more chance of MS being challenged by Linux.. and the other open source initiatives. Yep, this is the old "open source is going to take over the world" but think of all the proprietary opportunities missed due to open source, it’s a reality.

Just my 2 cts
Bob

Johan Eriksson wrote:

On 11/7/06, Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, I tried several times to switch to Linux on desktop - no way.
Switching to OpenOffice? Well, that's what I have at work now but I
feel much better at home back to MS Office. And I don't even do fancy
things with documents... more or less just typing.
Actually, I like Mac more and more these days. :) I think on desktops
that's more "dangerous" than Linux.

I did switch to linux couple of years ago (at work, been using it at
home for many more years) and so far I have little problem with it,
even though the company use MS products. When I used windows the only
thing I did use it for was ssh to other machines, mail and some office
stuff.
But yes, Mac is really good and the more I use it the better it gets.

"Oracle error messages being what they are, do not
highlight the correct cause of fault, but will identify
some other error located close to where the real fault lies."