Re: NLS_CHARACTERSET client settings

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mercadante, Thomas F" <thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:54:41 -0800

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:19:25 -0500, Mercadante, Thomas F
<thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jared,
>
> If you use two Oracle Homes, you can update the NLS_LANG registry setting to
> identify which language you are speaking when you run your client software.

I've thought about that.  There are scenarios where it would likely work.

(weasel words to indicate I haven't yet tested this ;)

probably work:

Two Oracle homes.  Each application uses a  config file to specify
location of Oracle components.

probably won't work:

Two Oracle homes.  Each application relies on PATH to find location
 of Oracle components.

probably work:
Two Oracle homes.  Application uses  ODBC.  Setup DSN's each with
an Oracle ODBC driver from a different Oracle home.

probably work:

A single Oracle home, use CMD files to run that apps, setting NLS_LANG
in each as needed.

Another option is to use a CMD file as above, but set the correct Oracle
Home and PATH via scripts that retrieve from the registry, and/or modify
the registry.  I already have the scripts for this, but it is intended for use
on servers and my laptop, too much complexity to dump on the folks
maintaining user machines.

--
Jared Still