Re: Moving from single instance to RAC

  • From: "Jeremy Paul Schneider" <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 11:53:12 -0500

ASM does require RMAN, but if you do RAC with OCFS then it's still possible
to do user-managed backups.  But yeah, RMAN has some great features and
there aren't many reasons left to not use it...

The big question would be how well does your OLTP app scale on SMP...
generally speaking apps that run well there will run well on RAC.  (There
are of course exceptions.)  If you have small concurency problems now that
have escaped notice then they could become much bigger on RAC once you
introduce cache fusion and global locks.

You also mention "stretched cluster" - do you mean an extended distance
cluster, where you will have cluster nodes at different physical sites that
are miles apart from each other?  There are some special issues to be aware
of for those deployments...  interconnect speeds, data access paths, and
quorum/voting disk layout being among them...  I'd be cautious about doing
an OLTP workload on an extended-distance cluster, but I'm sure that you guys
are planning it carefully and testing like crazy.  :)

-Jeremy

On 5/31/07, Matthew Zito <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 There's no requirement to use RMAN if you're using RAC, though Oracle is
definitely encouraging you to use RMAN universally (not just for RAC).

Matt