Re: Moving from single instance to RAC

  • From: "Syed Jaffar Hussain" <sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Peter McLarty" <p.mclarty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 11:02:27 +0300

Thanks Peter,

We are staying on AIX platform only.
We are implementing RAC on stretched cluster. We do have similar test
environment and the users, application owner are satisfied with the test
results.
Application is very highly OLTP system, around 500 transaction per second
and more than 2000 connections coming from Application Servers.
Although we have no issues with single-instance, we need to have high
availability and scalability options to further increase the database
throughput.

Jaffar

On 5/30/07, Peter McLarty <p.mclarty@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Hi

Are you staying on AIX or moving to Linux
From Jarrods survey you will be in a minority group of sites running RAC
and it makes sense not to use high costs subsystems like AIX servers to be
your RAC hosts.

Why are you moving to RAC, what problem is it you are trying to solve

You need to test and test and test some more before going live and load
test your application or it may get very messy after you go live

Without knowing the application of if its an inhouse application then its
difficult to say much

You need to consider if you need multiple sets of clusters for your site

You have to use RMAN

Cheers

Peter