Re: Moving db to linux

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:07:56 -0500

Journalling for files is a concept similar to redo in the world
of oracle. With JFS, you get the process called jfsCommit running,
which "commits" buffer operations. Each filehandle operation like
"flush" or "close" is a "commit". Basically, journalled FS guarantees
that the data written down synchronously will really written down
to the disk device(s). If you can do DIO, your data is a little bit
safer. What a journalling FS protects you against is a huge data loss
of blocks that were in the buffer cache.

On 02/28/2004 07:27:38 AM, Nuno Souto wrote:
> [...]

Alter database datafile '/dir/myfile.dbf' autoextend on next 16384M maxsize
unlimited;

> needed to cause harm to "i-nodes" in a crash.
>
> >  And if you're archived logs were ext2 as well, you may be staring
> > at yourself in the mirror to see your boss' boot print on your backside.
>
> I'd need to see proof of that. Like I said: it's all to do with the
> type of usage.  If you mix Oracle datafiles with other volatile OS files
> in your f/s, then you MUST ensure against f/s loss using a JFS.
> If you don't, there is nothing in Oracle's normal use of files in a f/s
> that will cause a fsck to fail.  Nothing.  A fsck "patches" stuffed up
> allocations of blocks.  Oracle uses pre-allocated blocks.
> Take away the root of the problem, you got no problem.
>
> > What FS benchmark site?  Why is it flawed?  Is there a "good" benchmark
> > site?
>
> The Quest site with the Linux file system benchmarks.  All done without a
> single description of what block size was used for the f/s, which one
> for the database, which parameters were used for the f/s configs,
> no testing of the impact of different write sizes (redo logs versus
> datafiles),
> etcetc.  Too many things wide open to be a reliable source for any
> decisions.
>
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto
> in sunny Sydney, Australia