From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Mladen Gogala
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 11:33 PM
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Internals - Was Oracle replication book

There are several. The best of all is

Kirk M. McKusick & comp:  Design And Implementation of 4.3 BSD.
Yes, it's right, it's 4.3, not 4.4, because the latter is too
detailed and not as well written as the 4.3 book.
Uresh Vahalia: Unix Internals, The New Frontier.
David Rusling: The Linux Kernel (E-book, a little bit old, but still great
                                 http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/tlk/tlk.html)

Maurice Bach: Design of the Unix OS
Andrew Tannenbaum: Modern Operating System
Harvey Deitel: An Introduction to Operating Systems (1990 edition,
                                                     I haven't seen the 2003
                                                     one)
Bruce Ellis: Hitchiker's Guide to VMS (Excellent book!!!)
Nicklaus Wirth: Data Structures + Algorithms = Programs (This is an ancient
                                                         book, but was a great
                                                         introduction to
                                                         B-trees. People are
                                                         always fond of their