Re: More selective means slower?

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:46:11 -0700

a) what Oracle version?

b) in case it is not 9i (not that unlikely given it's a COTS) are there
by any chance statistics on the dictionary objects? Again not that
unlikely if they gathered statistics with dbms_utility...
or is optimizer_goal set to first_rows?

c) Why wouldn't explain plan not work on dictionary objects?

d) How can the application care / know in what tablespace the indexes are?

btw, while I was writing this I was running your sql against one of my
Peoplesoft databases and it found 26,151 rows in less time than I wrote
this (I forgot to turn riming on).

--
Regards

Wolfgang Breitling