RE: Migrating TOOLS tablespace to ASSM

  • From: "Ian Cary" <Ian.Cary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:01:19 +0100

Mainly because I originally used this technique to transport a set of
tablespaces from one non-ASM instance to another ASM one - in those
circumstances I didn't have to take the tablespace offline at all.
However by only taking the datafile offline at the point I did does
minimize the downtime for anyone who might want to use the tablespace
rather than having it offline for the duration of the copy. I may even have
got away with an "alter tablespace .... begin backup" rather than "alter
table read only" but as I said I was adapting a working example.
In fact I still think the rman copy , convert, switch to backup approach is
probably the "correct" method but I didn't have the syntax to hand.

Cheers,

Ian

|         |           Joel.Patterson@cr|
|         |           owley.com        |
|         |           13/06/2007 13:34 |

tim@xxxxxxxxx                         |
  |       Subject:  RE: Migrating TOOLS tablespace to ASSM

Why don't you take the tablespace offline before you move the datafile?

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
joel.patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx
x72546