Re: Metalink and availability

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MFontana@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 11:39:55 -0700

Four 9's translates to 53 minutes of downtime per year.

Contrary to what Oracle marketing will tell you, there really
isn't any such thing as rolling upgrades or patches.

Well, that's not quite true.  One off patches that are applied
with Opatch can be done in a rolling fashion.

The quarterly security patches cannot be applied in a rolling
fashion however.

Does anyone think they can apply even one of the CPU
patch sets in 53 minutes to a RAC system?

Not that I've tried it - we do not have any RAC systems.

Applying the a single CPU to one of our SAP systems
in less than an hour is quite a challenge at times.

Jared

On 5/23/06, Michael Fontana <MFontana@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hey, wait a minute.

I just had 4 oracle senior SE's assure me that if I implemented RAC and
Grid
I would have four nines of uptime (or better), and that it was very
easily done.

I guess Oracle doesn't eat it's own dogfood?

Jared Still