RE: Metalink and availability

The thing that takes the most time with the CPU patches on Unix is that
Opatch patches and relinks one binary at a time serially.  Having the
database down is completely unnecessary for many of these binaries, such as
sqlplus etc.  Furthermore, even running binaries like oracle and tnslsnr can
be relinked with the databases open and running, and staged as alternately
named files (oracle-new, tnslsnr-new).  You can then move them all into
place during a very brief outage for all instances.

There are a number of tricks that you can use to greatly reduce the apply
time for the CPU patches.  Start with the one-off patch apply guidelines in
my paper:

http://www.ora-600.net/articles/stayinalive.pdf

Remember that CPU patches also often have SQL to run, so you will have to
determine when you should run that.  It should be possible to push the new
binaries into place, come up in single-node/restricted session, run the SQL
and then restart into multi-user RAC mode.  Maybe you can bring the patch
time down to 10 minutes on a RAC system.

Not great, but better than an hour.

Jeremiah Wilton
ORA-600 Consulting
http://www.ora-600.net

From: Jared Still
The quarterly security patches cannot be applied in a rolling
fashion however.

Does anyone think they can apply even one of the CPU
patch sets in 53 minutes to a RAC system?

Not that I've tried it - we do not have any RAC systems.

Applying the a single CPU to one of our SAP systems
in less than an hour is quite a challenge at times.