Re: *Measuring sql performance (elapsed time and scalability) by number of logical reads

  • From: "Dimitar Radoulov" <cichomitiko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 23:51:27 +0200

On 5/2/06, Cary Millsap <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In the trace data context, those things listed below (hash value
calculation, memory management, traversing hash chains, etc.) will show
up as time in the c field. ...Not as time in a "wait" event.

I don't think the categorization "service" vs. "wait" helps people's
thinking very much.
A better way to think of the time being spent from
Oracle's perspective is "kernel code path" vs. "OS call code path".
Roughly speaking, the c field on a dbcall maps to kernel code path
execution, and the ela field on so-called "wait" lines maps to OS call
code path execution.

I think that instrumenting oracle kernel code path is as useful as OS call code path instrumenting is.

Notice that an OS call duration includes both waiting and service time.
This is the reason I don't like to use the word "wait interface".

Cary Millsap Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd. http://www.hotsos.com Nullius in verba

Hotsos Symposium 2007 / March 4-8 / Dallas
Visit www.hotsos.com for curriculum and schedule details...

Regards,
Dimitre