Re: Looking for anyone who's using "types" in 9i and attempted to upgrade to 10g

  • From: Toon Koppelaars <toon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TESTAJ3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 20:19:16 +0200

We use TYPE's within the RuleGen product, and remember that we have run into
the very same ORA-00600 that you mention.

The issue was in the area of automatic re-validation of objects whenever
RuleGen 'create-or-replace'd an existing dependent object. We received a
backport fix for this issue for 9.2 (two years ago).

We've not had this issue in 10.2, nor in 11.1.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 5:18 AM, <TESTAJ3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In a previous project, circa '04, I developed and used create type
> statement, nothing fancy, no methods, no functions, and then did a create
> table based on the type.  Since we had hundreds of tables it was easier to
> just alter the type and cascade the changes to all of the tables,
> automagically. :)
> we attempted to upgrade the db from 9.2 to 10.2 and ended up with ORA-600
> errors showing kksfbc-reparse-infinite-loop  as the first parm.  I think
> i've tied it back to the types but wonder if anyone else had or seen this
> issue.
> Querying the dba_type_versions show some of the types with up to 35
> versions of the type.
> We also ended up with THOUSANDS of object going invalid regularly, database
> performance came to a crawl as oracle was recompiling all of those invalid
> objects.
> utlrp was puking on trying to do it, or just hanging.
> Oracle Support gave us a patch and it only somewhat fixed it as the number
> of invalids went down but we eventually rolled back the upgrade back to 9i.
> Any ideas here would be helpful.
> thanks, joe
> Joe Testa, Oracle Certified Professional
> (Work) 614-677-1668
> (Cell) 614-312-6715
> Interested in helping out your marriage?
> Ask me about "Weekend to Remember"
> Dec 11-13, 2009 here in Columbus.

Toon Koppelaars
RuleGen BV

(co)Author: "Applied Mathematics for Database Professionals"