Looking for anyone who's using "types" in 9i and attempted to upgrade to 10g

  • From: TESTAJ3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 23:18:26 -0400

In a previous project, circa '04, I developed and used create type
statement, nothing fancy, no methods, no functions, and then did a create
table based on the type.  Since we had hundreds of tables it was easier to
just alter the type and cascade the changes to all of the tables,
automagically. :)

we attempted to upgrade the db from 9.2 to 10.2 and ended up with ORA-600
errors showing kksfbc-reparse-infinite-loop  as the first parm.  I think
i've tied it back to the types but wonder if anyone else had or seen this
issue.

Querying the dba_type_versions show some of the types with up to 35
versions of the type.

We also ended up with THOUSANDS of object going invalid regularly,
database performance came to a crawl as oracle was recompiling all of
those invalid objects.

utlrp was puking on trying to do it, or just hanging.

Oracle Support gave us a patch and it only somewhat fixed it as the number
of invalids went down but we eventually rolled back the upgrade back to
9i.

Any ideas here would be helpful.

thanks, joe

Joe Testa, Oracle Certified Professional
(Work) 614-677-1668
(Cell) 614-312-6715

Interested in helping out your marriage?
Ask me about "Weekend to Remember"
Dec 11-13, 2009 here in Columbus.