RE: Long-Term Archiving

  • From: "Roberts, David (GSD - UK)" <david.h.roberts@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rstauffer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <uwe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 14:01:37 +0000

The archival viability of CD and DVD is sometimes discussed on a video
editing forum I participate on (dvdoctor).

My understanding is that the best CD-Rs will now theoretically last
longer than a pressed CD (presuming that they are cared for well).

However DVD-Rs (or DVD+Rs) haven't yet even come close to exhibiting the
longevity of pressed DVDs.

It is my understanding that one of the design goals of Blu-ray was more
resilience for the data recorded on a disk, however as this is a
relatively new technology, and while the data on the disks may be more
resilient, there were certainly indicators that blu-ray disks are more
brittle than DVDs and CDs.

Finally, be cautious with regards the Archival Gold DVDs. From reports I
have read, it appears that while the gold layer may be inert and this
may help the longevity of the disk, the manufacturing quality is so
poor, that this may end up not being the high quality media it purports
to be.

Thus if you do really care about your data, then hard disk or tape are
probably the way to go in spite of the possible inconvenience of format
migrations every few yeas to ensure the availability of the data as
technology changes.

Dave

www.logica.com

Logica UK Limited
Registered in England and Wales (registered number 947968)
Registered office: 250 Brook Drive, Green Park, Reading RG2 6UA, United
Kingdom