Re: Linux for x86 or Intel

  • From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 21:47:55 -0700 (PDT)

--- Fernando <fernandoluis@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > the last thing that I want to do is have to
> support
> > databases running on Mac OS X. Best defense - good
>
> Well, everyone has their own nightmares. For me,
> nothing worst than
> Oracle in a Windows (any kind).

try debugging a client/app running from a Mac desktop
running a sqlnet 2.3.2 client (think 7.3.2)

without so much a a freaking ping utility

running at remote client sites.

every damned release of Mac OS broke something.

Apple had no interest in the Enterprise.
Apple had no interest in not breaking third party
vendors' software.

At least win32 offers backward compatibility.
You knew what you were up against.

we run over 300 concurrent dedicated sessions
simultaneously against win32 database instances at
client sites - and the code ain't exactly lean.

If you knew what you were doing on win32, it would not
seem so bad. Yes, the occassional unexpected crashes
suck. Most crashes are due to things like remote
control software or bad hardware/drivers. A competent
SysAdmin can configure an Oracle/win32 box for good
performance and reasonable availability. Yes, it would
most likely run better if it was a lin32 box.

Macs just plain suck - and on average (no offense
intended against clueful users, quite the exception
though) Mac users are the worst on the planet. Its
like they're so proud that their little device just
took a crap on the newspaper for the first time.

Imagine being stuck in a compatible mode of oracle
7.3.2.
Object types, no.
BLOB, CLOB, no.
nested tables, no.
stuck on LONG, LONG RAW data types, yes.

Hi. I'm Paul, and I HATE macs.
(but this is no surprise to those who know me)

Pd