Re: Linux for x86 or Intel

  • From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 17:26:07 -0700 (PDT)

--- Shawn Ferris <shawn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I don't mean to aggrevate those who run it on
> their
> > laptops, but no self-respecting sysadmin would
> allow a
> > Mac OS X server into the server room, especially
> for
> > running Oracle on top of in production (or
> testing,
> > for that matter).
>
> Why not? I'd run one of *BSD OS's in the server
> room, and OS X is
> essentially that. I see no harm in it.. I would
> certainly prefer it over a
> MS solution ANY day. 8)
>
> my $.02
> Shawn

Obviously, you have not worked with Oracle Support.
You have not attempted to get bug fixes or patches,
patchsets in a short amount of time.

Guess how many production releases of Oracle Database
Server had been issued that are supported on
[Free|Net|Open] BSD?

how about zero?
run it on Linux or some real *nix.

but be my guest to go have fun and wear that badge of
honor. Post on /. that you have a Beowulf Cluster of
PPCs running Oracle on Mac OS X, I'm sure your karma
will love it. maybe you won't ever need to work with
Oracle Support and get a bugfix. The thing is, that
they are going to have to setup a reproducible test
case for themselves and for development in order to
get a fix out to you.

(btw - in my experience, patches on win32 take months
longer than on lin32, and I've had excellent response
in getting issues resolved with 9.2 on lin32).

Pd