Re: LOBs and SEGMENT SPACE MANAGEMENT AUTO

  • From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:33:11 -0600

I am reading Oracle docs and it states in the 9i Rel 1 release readme notes that:

LOB columns cannot be stored in AUTO SEGMENT SPACE MANAGED tablespaces

But, I have a partitioned table (9iRel2) with 2 LOB columns.

9.2 doesn't have this restriction. Although it had a nasty bug (don't remember bud id though) which could cause wastage of space in LOB segments in some cases.

If I query user_segments the freelists, etc. columns are blank for the LOB segments.

You don't have freelists in ASSM segments.

This seems to be in contradiction to me. What am I missing?

Old documentation vs. new db version.

Tanel.