Re: Invoking Export as SYSDBA

  • From: Sunil Bhola <oraclebhola@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Paul.Vincent@xxxxxxxxx, Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 05:02:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Paul,

Why you are depending on escape characters. Every O/S has different escape
characters. So always better to do EXP/IMP with PARFILE. The same things comes
when you are using QUERY option in your EXPort command, as in Windows you need
to put query in three quotes(""") but in unix you need to put single quotes
(").

So if you wants to get save from these type of issues use parfile

eg.
create a parfile with some conetens like

userid="sys/change as sysdba"
query=where sal>10000"
full=y

save that file with the name any name

and then use
exp parfile=<name of file>

Hope that will clear your doubt

Sunil Bhola

Paul Vincent <Paul.Vincent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Firstly, many thanks to everyone who gave me advice about truncating
event logs and listener logs - much appreciated.

I've been experimenting with the various options of Oracle Import and
Export (with Oracle 8i and 9i), and have come across a strange problem:

The syntax of imp and exp specifies that you can invoke them as SYSDBA
by starting the statement thus:

exp username/password AS SYSDBA ...

but when I try this out on a Solaris system I get:

LRM-00108: invalid positional parameter value 'as'

Then I noticed a note in the documentation for Export, saying that
because the string "AS SYSDBA" contains a blank, most operating systems
require the entire string 'username/password AS SYDBA' be placed in
quotation marks or marked as a literal by some method. It also says the
quotation marks may need to be preceded by an escape character. So I
tried:

exp "username/password AS SYSDBA" ...

and still got the LRM-00108 message as before. Now, I've tried looking
in the documentation for anything about escape characters, but can find
nothing.=20

Can anyone using Oracle under Solaris tell me where I'm going wrong,
please?

And, yes, I know generally there's no need to ever use the "as sysdba"
option for import/export, but I'm just experimenting, and this is a
mystery I'd like to clear up.

Thanks,

Paul Vincent
DBA