Invoking Export as SYSDBA

  • From: "Paul Vincent" <Paul.Vincent@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:11:19 +0100

Firstly, many thanks to everyone who gave me advice about truncating
event logs and listener logs - much appreciated.

I've been experimenting with the various options of Oracle Import and
Export (with Oracle 8i and 9i), and have come across a strange problem:

The syntax of imp and exp specifies that you can invoke them as SYSDBA
by starting the statement thus:

exp username/password AS SYSDBA ...

but when I try this out on a Solaris system I get:

LRM-00108: invalid positional parameter value 'as'

Then I noticed a note in the documentation for Export, saying that
because the string "AS SYSDBA" contains a blank, most operating systems
require the entire string 'username/password AS SYDBA' be placed in
quotation marks or marked as a literal by some method. It also says the
quotation marks may need to be preceded by an escape character. So I
tried:

exp "username/password AS SYSDBA" ...

and still got the LRM-00108 message as before. Now, I've tried looking
in the documentation for anything about escape characters, but can find
nothing.=20

Can anyone using Oracle under Solaris tell me where I'm going wrong,
please?

And, yes, I know generally there's no need to ever use the "as sysdba"
option for import/export, but I'm just experimenting, and this is a
mystery I'd like to clear up.

Thanks,

Paul Vincent
DBA