RE: Insert contention on RAC

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Baumgartel, Paul" <paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:06:13 -0600

Ouch!  Sorry didn't see that;  thanks for pointing it out...

In that case, I'm wondering if you have an index on this table populated with a monotonically-ascending data value (i.e. SYSDATE or a sequence NEXTVAL). If so,
freelists certainly wouldn't help you...

Quoting "Baumgartel, Paul" <paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Tim,

I'm way ahead of you!  ;-)  Take another look at my post; I did
pre-allocate one large extent per instance.  Unfortunately, it didn't
help.

I'm pretty sure that commits are batched; they're sending a batch of
insert statements from Java and probably committing after each batch.
Transaction rates are only about 1.5 per second.

If I get down to log file sync, I'll be happy.  The block contention is
what's driving me nuts.  And it occurs to me that if I restrict the
inserts to one instance, I'll just get buffer busy waits instead of gc
buffer busy waits.

Help!

Thanks for your reply.