Insert contention on RAC

  • From: "Baumgartel, Paul" <paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:18:39 -0400

To borrow the style from some MetaLink notes--

Fact:  Oracle 10.2.0.1.0
Fact:  RedHat 3
Fact:  3 node RAC

Many concurrent sessions inserting one row at a time into the same
table.  On first run, table in ASSM tablespace, about 50% of database
service time was gc buffer busy waits.  Built a new tablespace with
manual segment management, re-created table with three freelist groups
and 4 freelists.  Next run showed >90% of service time was enq:  HW
contention; total run time was slightly higher than it was with ASSM..
Re-created table again, allocated three 4 GB extents, one for each
instance.  Current run is still showing high HW contention waits.

Might I have too many freelists?  Other than forcing all sessions to use
the same RAC instance, is there anything else I can do to reduce these
waits?

Thanks,

Paul Baumgartel
CREDIT SUISSE