Re: IBM Flash copy and oracle

  • From: "Mark Brinsmead" <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fuadar@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:29:07 -0400

There's another reason that you can't (or don't want to) open the database
on the backup server -- you would have to license Oracle there.  In saying
this, I'm assuming you're doing more than 10 backups per year...

Given that your management is being "cheap", you're probably close to the
best solution you're ever going to get.  All you need to do is register the
backup files with RMAN.  This is possible to do without opening the
database, although sadly I have never done it, so I cannot tell you how.
Basically, it would be the same process as registering with RMAN any other
file that you backed up with an "OS" command.

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead