IBM Flash copy and oracle

  • From: Fuad Arshad <fuadar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 07:40:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hello list,
  We're looking into a solution of  implementing backups using  ibm flash copy
technique( its very similar to  EMC BCV/Clone ).
  We are trying to implement  this using rman.
  Management is being cheap in not buying 2 licenses so my problem is how do  i
backup the archivelogs.

  Let me explain the scenario in detail btw oracle  10.2.0.2  aix 5.3 not using
flash area at this point though would like to knwo if that would help.

  database put in  hot backup mode (alter tablespace begin backup) disk flashed
and database taken out of backup mode.
  Disk brought to second node  . i cant open the disk to back it up since it
will reset the scns and make recoveribility of the backup an issue.
  so i  take a cold backup.
  The problem is how do i backup the archivelogs and keep them consistently
backed up and have rman know about it.
  management is only buying a  media management -- > oracle lciense for the
backup server. i could go with a file system backup but it is messy.
  anyone done this before.