Re: How to trap arguments passed in to procedure...

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chrisstephens@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:11:10 +0000

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:40:57 -0500, Stephens, Chris
<chrisstephens@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am trying to troubleshoot an error occuring in a web application.  The
> app calls a stored procedure that I wrote.  When I pass in the arguments
> via sqlplus/toad whatever, I am unable to generate the error.  The web
> developer swears up and down that the values she has send me are being
> passed.  I attempted to enable a 10046 level 12 but that doesn't show
> the argument values passed in to the procedure.  How can I do that?

I'm a little confused about two things

1, What the actual error is . Is it an error generated by the database
or by the app?

2, When you say that a level 12 trace doesn't show the values I'm
guessing that you haven't successfully traced the correct session. If
the values are passed in as binds they will be in the trace file, if
they are passed in as literals they will be in the sqlstatements. Is
it possible for the app developer to add 'alter session set
tracefile_identifier=<something>', 'alter session set
max_dump_file_size_unlimited' and then 'alter session set events
'10046 trace name context forever, level 12' into the app code before
the part that queries the db and then turns tracing off afterwards.
Its always better if you can to get the code to trace itself rather
than chase it from outside.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA