RE: How to setup LDAP

  • From: <krish.hariharan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Mayen.Shah@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:41:09 -0700

Oracle OID has the identity management framework and that had two parts the
database naming (tnsnames/onames functionality) and the external/global user
administration and authentication functionality. When I
converted/complemented ONAMES with OID I found from Oracle Sales and
Metalink that the database naming partition of OID was free since Oracle 10g
treats ONAMES as "He who shall not be named", pun not intended. The user
administration and global authentication portion WAS NOT FREE.

The database naming (tnsnames functionality) can be done with sqlnet.ora
directory path including LDAP and an ldap.ora or using DNS entries that
advertise a well known ldap host.

You should clarify with your account representative on the use of the OID
identity management framework for external/global user administration since
that part is a separately licensed ($$) component. I believe this is
mentioned in Rich's and Jared's responses.

I haven't been following the entire thread, but I also found out that in 10g
the distribution of OID coming through the RBDMS install is not production
and one through IAS app distribution is. I discovered that when I was
looking for the onamesproxy which we tested in 9.2 OID and not available in
10g OID.

Please feel free to correct if your experience and information is current
and different.

Regards,

-Krish

Krish Hariharan

President/Executive Architect, Quasar Database Technologies, LLC

(303) 808-5172

http://www.linkedin.com/in/quasardb

  _____