Re: How to install Oracle 10g RAC on OEL Linux 5 using VmWare?

  • From: dave <david.best@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 08:57:54 -0400

I was able to do it but I also had to set:

reslck.timeout="1200"

in the config file to help with locking issues as my laptop was barely
good enough to run windows and 2 rac nodes.

To enable shared disk config, take a look at:
http://newappsdba.blogspot.com/2008/04/part-1-setting-up-vmware-and-linux-for.html
Here's the relevant clip:

# Shared Disk Config. In order to enable disk sharing for the disks we
just created, we need to modify the virtual machine configuration
file. From the VMware Server Console you can find the location of your
configuration file in the top left hand corner.
Before the line:
scsi1.present = "TRUE"

Add:
disk.locking = "FALSE"
diskLib.dataCacheMaxSize = "0"
scsi1.sharedBus = "virtual”

After each line similar to:
scsi1:0.mode = "independent-persistent"
Add:
scsi1:0.deviceType = "disk”

Note the bold 0, make sure that for each device you put in the correct
number. For the first device its 0, followed by 1, etc. ie. A small
snip of my config file.

    disk.locking = "FALSE"
    diskLib.dataCacheMaxSize = "0"
    scsi1.sharedBus = "virtual"

    scsi1.present = "TRUE"
    scsi1:0.present = "TRUE"
    scsi1:0.fileName = "c:\Virtual Machines\sharedstorage\OCRDisk1.vmdk"
    scsi1:0.mode = "independent-persistent"
    scsi1:0.deviceType = "disk"
    scsi1:1.present = "TRUE"
    scsi1:1.fileName = "c:\Virtual Machines\sharedstorage\OCRDisk2.vmdk"
    scsi1:1.mode = "independent-persistent"
    scsi1:1.deviceType = "disk"

    Save the file and start up the VM.