RE: How to clear UNDOTBS- Slightly OT

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:32:44 -0500

Kelly,

    I'm not exactly sure about that.  I've worked with a couple of
"canned" applications that really do use, and spec out in the install
guide, a lot of undo and temp.  Sadly your right it is BAD code, but
then they'll tell you "DISK IS CHEAP, BUY SOME MORE".  Well it may be
true that disk is cheap, until you have no more available & you have to
go ask for some to be purchased.  Then it's a close cousin to Platinum
in cost.  What gets me is that it's so easy to get around if people
would:

    1) use procedural code vs. mass updates
    2) define what a transaction is and then stick to that definition.

Had a developer who was doing a commit across a cursor in his code.
Never managed to finish without generating errors that flustered his
users.  Added to his cursor definition "for update of" and never saw a
problem from the users again.  Sadly, or gladly that is, he never heard
the end of it.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International

        From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
        To: "'Oracle-L Freelists'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Date: Monday, January 18, 2010, 10:56 AM

        I never set my undo or temp to autoextend. It's the easiest
database "tell" that somebody has written something screwy if the
tablespaces blow up