Re: How to clear UNDOTBS- Slightly OT

  • From: Martin Bach <development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:52:27 +0000

Hi Kellyn!

Very good point!

On 01/18/2010 05:26 PM, Kellyn Pedersen wrote:
OK, I'm just going to ask this of the DBA's here.  I'm going to be
[avoiding overquoting]
How many DBA's inspect what is utilizing temp and undo? How many DBA's
see a large temp and/or UNDO tablespace as a red flag in a database?

Yep, me too! However, I found on many occasions that outsourced or junior database administrators simply add more space to temp/undo just to stop the alert from firing. No questions asked as to why it runs out of space... Well I guess everything comes at a price, and it takes a little bit of training to get out of that habit.

I also like a neat and tidy system, running out of temp space in such cases often indicates a mistake on the user's side (cartesian joins, missing predicates etc) Nice to be alerted about!

Kellyn Pedersen
Multi-Platform DBA
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen