RE: How long to keep archive logs?

  • From: Juan Miranda <jcmiranda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <janine@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l L'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 11:05:13 +0200

Hi

This script delete archivelogs (older first) if free space on disk is less
than a value:

---
echo  "Free space in /archivelog"
free_space=`df -m /archivelog | grep dev | awk '{print $4}'`
echo $free_space

# Min free 10GB
min_free_spc=10000

while [ $free_space -lt $min_free_spc ]
do
  echo "deleting 10 archivelogs "
  find /archivelog -type f | xargs  ls -l --time-style=long-iso | grep .arch
| sort -r -k6 -k7 | awk '{print $8}' | tail | xargs rm
  free_space=`df -m /archive_orzan | grep dev | awk '{print $4}'`
  echo $free_space
done
---

You must create a cron task to execute it.
This way you always have an amount of archivelogs on disk AND free space
available.

This is for linux, tell me if you need it for Windows.
And... try RMAN.

Juan.