How long to keep archive logs?

  • From: Janine Sisk <janine@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:07:10 -0700

Here comes another one of those extremely newbie questions...

I have turned on archive logging for the first time, so of course I now have
large archive log files piling up.

I currently do my backups via the caveman begin/end backup method, because it
works very well with Amazon EC2's snapshot feature.  I eventually plan to
implement RMAN backups as well, but have not done it yet.

I have gathered from the reading I have done that archive logs do not need to
be kept once a backup has been taken, but I'm not sure if that applies to the
type of backups I'm doing or if it is only true if RMAN is involved.  It seems
logical that I would not need them;  if I needed to recover back to before the
last snapshot, I would just restore that and be done with it.

Can anyone tell me what a reasonable deletion strategy would be for these log
files?

thanks,

janine