Re: Help with Storage Capacity

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Michael Dinh <mdinh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 13:54:27 -0600

SAN Storage? Of course!  It is expensive stuff.

Remember that while the disk drive may cost pennies per gigabyte now, on
a SAN we are also paying for the Terabytes of RAM that attempt to get
around the hard drive (and RAID 5) limitations, as well as the extra
power supplies, the extra shelves, etc etc etc.

Disk IS cheap.  Putting it on the SAN, with all the supporting
environment, is not cheap.

Which is why it ends up being the DBA's fault.  "Why didn't you predict
the increase in storage requirements - for YOUR database - 2 years ago
so we could budget for the disk???"

/Hans