Re: Help critical install shared cdroms

  • From: Mark Bole <makbo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 11:04:42 -0700

Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> So I ended up saying the heck with it as I don't want to go much farther
> without hooking up with the system admin.
>
> I instead did a scp from the disk to the target host which brings up
> another question.
>
> Doing a scp -pr everything is owned by root - any known "gotchas" about
> copying the files with "-pr" then running the install from a staging
> area?
>
> Thanks,
> Paula=20

Nope, no "gotchas".  I've done it many times over the years on numerous
platforms with no problems.  As long as the files are readable and
exectuable, it's sufficient (since there are no writes performed in the
staging area by the installer, other permissions and ownership are
irrelevant).  Just copy the entire contents of each CD into its own
subdirectory, and then proceed as normal.  (I would use rsync in
preference to scp since it gives you more control over how to handle
links and such, and can restart an interrupted copy from where it failed
instead of the beginning.)

At least two other respondents indicated a preference for downloading an
installation bundle over the Internet instead of simply copying the
install media at hand... I'm curious if there are any "war stories" or
other rationale for this advice...?

--
Mark Bole
http://www.bincomputing.com