Re: Flash technology based HDD will it make significant difference for OLTP applications?

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: j.velikanovs@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 21:29:12 +0000

Things I don't like about it.

1. It's end of life and the manufacturer is recommending other products from
a different product line.
2. I really don't like the idea of a san disk expiring after x I/O
operations - I don't know how many i/os my disks have been subjected to, or
are subjected to on a regular basis, and what the variation is. I've not yet
met anyone who does either - though I have a sneaking suspicion that I might
know at least one person who does keep this info.

then there's the broader question as to whether

a) you are IO bound and
b) the IO that is binding you is optimised.

Of course redo IO is optimised and often is a significant drain so SSD
devices might be approprate there.
Niall

--
Niall Litchfield