Re: Finding long running queries..

  • From: Stéphane Faroult <sfaroult@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nupendra@xxxxxxxxxxx, Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 13:45:33 -0600

Looks more to me that your problem isn't long running queries but tons of short running ones. I have had a similar problem once with a report that was taking (more modestly) over one hour to generate 70 pages. I traced the process, I couldn't open (on Solaris) the tracefile in vi. Too big.
I had to resort to that good old grep to try to see what was in the file and I found over 600,000 queries.
None of them was very long. They were all pretty fast, actually. But around 10,000 queries per page was perhaps a bit excessive.

Stéphane Faroult

On 19/11/15 12:55, Upendra nerilla wrote:

Hello everyone -
Environment: Oracle RAC 11.2 on OEL

I am trying to set 10046 trace on a batch process to see which queries needs tuning.. The process runs for over 12 hours. Last time I set a max dump file to 6G which got filled up in a couple of hours. current udump directory has limited storage and I don't want to repoint it to another location for the entire duration.
I am trying to see if there are any work around like - writing a specific trace file to another file system? or any other ways to minimize the output?

Or if there are better ways to find long running queries for a specific session, i am open to suggestions.
FYI, I do have Tuning/Diag pack licenses on these databases..

Thanks much
-Upendra