RE: EnterpriseDB

  • From: "Milen Kulev" <makulev@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rgoulet@xxxxxxxxxx>, <rjfeighery@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Oracle-L List'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:19:27 +0100

Hello  Richard,
As already mentioned  Postgres (and EnterpriseDB as itrs clone) can have more
than
One tablespace. The idea  is to have separate mountpoints and to have
appropriate RAID (10, 5) behind the mountpount
that stripes the data among the disks.
Postgres  storage manages relies (by design) heavily on the capabilities of the
nderlying filesystems/volume manager. In
PG each table is one file, BUT if the table becomes bigger than
2GB, the table will be splitted in many 2GB files. If you do not want this
behaviour, you should recompile PG ;)
PG really doesn't have a cluster. It has a sort of replication -slony -I, based
on triggers ;( ,
And multimalster replication (pgcluster, loadbalancing). Both options are  Open
Source projects

HTH. Milen
P.S. Based on my experience I thing  PG is better suitable for OLTP than for
DHW. It is just my opinion, though...