Re: EMC storage replication

  • From: goran bogdanovic <goran00@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal@xxxxxxxxx>, fuadar@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 17:54:14 +0100

Gopal, Faud,

Thanks for inputs ... I appreciate a lot.
I am aware of the fact that SAN replication on block level is not aware of
'content' of Oracle datablocks i.e. if there is a corruption on primary the
EMC Replication will happily replicate it to secondary SAN.
With this I can live. The reason is following: we plan to use it for
not-so-critical DB-systems - for critical ones we have DataGuard ;-)

If the corruption happens and being detected within DB backup retention
policy, we can always restore to state before corruption and re-load the
rest of the data - business logic allows this. Since we already have EMC
Replication license, I see no reason to spend money on additional DG license
for such systems.
But here is the key-point to detect corruption within DB Backup retention
policy ... if not, hmmm ... I have to think about this.

What makes me worry, are the points from Faud.
1. What do you mean when you say "Application Architecture needs to be
there"? What exactly? TAF? FAN? or similar?
2. "Frequent testing of this infrastructure needs to be there" - would you
please specify more this point?

Best Regards,
Goran