Re: EMC storage replication

  • From: Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:24:26 +0200

My choice would be an expensive choice:

DG locally and EMC between datacenters.

DG works but it's administration has an overhead. It takes time to derive
proper Letter-size instructions suitable for 5 A.M. We do run DG between
Data centers but it took time to learn how to handle things like standby
downtime, stuck recovery, growing sys audit logs, etc, etc...

Storage replication seems to be a cleaner solution - it deals with
blocks/tracks/etc only while DG deals with redo change vectors and, most
importandly, with control files (primary and standby control file)
On the down side if something goes wrong with storage replication then you
will probably have less control over it. We had issues when Storage Admin
was left with puzzled expression on his face: do we have an unplanned 32h
outage or he can still mount disks with some background tasks going on...
At the end he left his laptop running terminal session over night...