From: goran bogdanovic <goran00@xxxxxxxxx>
To: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal@xxxxxxxxx>; fuadar@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, December 2, 2010 10:54:14 AM
Subject: Re: EMC storage replication

Gopal, Faud,

Thanks for inputs ... I appreciate a lot.
I am aware of the fact that SAN replication on block level is not aware of
'content' of Oracle datablocks i.e. if there is a corruption on primary the EMC
Replication will happily replicate it to secondary SAN.
With this I can live. The reason is following: we plan to use it for
not-so-critical DB-systems - for critical ones we have DataGuard ;-)

If the corruption happens and being detected within DB backup retention policy,
we can always restore to state before corruption and re-load the rest of the
data - business logic allows this. Since we already have EMC Replication
license, I see no reason to spend money on additional DG license for such
systems.
But here is the key-point to detect corruption within DB Backup retention
policy
... if not, hmmm ... I have to think about this.

What makes me worry, are the points from Faud.
1. What do you mean when you say "Application Architecture needs to be there"?
What exactly? TAF? FAN? or similar?
2. "Frequent testing of this infrastructure needs to be there" - would you
please specify more this point?

Best Regards,
Goran

Goran,