Re: Does (block)Size really matter?

  • From: Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rlsmith@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:15:19 -0400

On 6/8/05, Smith, Ron L. <rlsmith@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a process that sends data through a dblink to an intermediate
> database and then on to another database.  The first database is blocked
> at 4096, the second is at 8192, the third at 8192.  Response is slow
> (5000 rows in 1.5 hours.  Could the difference in block size be a
> factor?
> Thanks!
> Ron

Check out the wait events in that session - along the lines of
'SQL*Net' and 'db_link'.
Perhaps hiking the SDU/TDU in the client tnsnames.ora and server
listener.ora (use a separate listener) to 8192, 16384 or some multiple
of 42 could reduce the number of round trips.

see Metalink for references, e.g.=20

There was lots of run with this in 9.2 where dynamic resgistration
would not support non-standard SDU sizes.

At least you can setup separate connect descriptors and listeners,
seeing that this is only for server to server communications - its not
like you have to hit all the desktops. Might be worth a shot.