Re: Does (block)Size really matter?

Smith, Ron L. wrote:

>I have a process that sends data through a dblink to an intermediate
>database and then on to another database.  The first database is blocked
>at 4096, the second is at 8192, the third at 8192.  Response is slow
>(5000 rows in 1.5 hours.  Could the difference in block size be a
>factor?
>
>Thanks!
>Ron

Ron, I am unaware of any SQL command named "SEND".  Define "SEND". Are
you executing remote
procedure,  inserting in a remote table or testing  CPIP protocol
(Carrier Pigeon Internet Protocol)?
Is there a way to see the events you are waiting on? The word "slow"
usually means that you are waiting
on something. Without having the exact timings and analysis, I have to
use tea leaves from my Earl Grey
teabags. They tell me that you are waiting on Messiah's second coming
and that's bound to be slow.
I'll have to buy Sir Winston's , they seem to be better for prophecies.
Of course, the classic method
is using laurel leaves, fall in trance and then utter a prophecy. That
used to be known as Said Quixotically on
Laurel or SQL, for short.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA