Re: Documentation every Database Shop should have

  • From: Paula Stankus <paulastankus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dnt9000@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 17:49:38 -0800 (PST)

Change Mgt. or Deployment Practices - standard scripts, central location where
code is stored, roles of apps dev/dba

  Checklists - montly, weekly, daily

  SLA's or SLA-related data covering:
-backup strategy
  -performance agreements
  -external data sources
  -hours of operation

  ERD's and DFD's

  Listing of batch processes, contact person, dates/time they run, sources and
outputs of data

  A CMDB WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!

David Turner <dnt9000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I'm trying to compile a list of documentation every database shop should
have. Does anyone have any links or suggestions that would help me compile a
list of the docs that most shops would need? Here's what I have so far.

Oncall DBA - who's oncall for a given week.
Oncall tasks -
DBA Status Reports - each team member's activities for the past week.
Goals - goals for the current quarter.
Master Project List - a spreadsheet of the tasks each team member will be
spending their time
on over given period(s).
Team Info - information about each team member, their manager, and possible
areas of strength/interest.
Database list - list of databases, hostnames, and type. Other info as needed.
Database restart procedures doc - all the processes that need to be restarted,
people notified, etc
each time a database is restarted.
Database failover doc - instructions on failing over each database that is in a
primary
standby configuration.

Disaster Recovery - Detailed Instructions for the backup and recovery of each
database host.

Database Administration for the NOC - tasks network operations can handle with
instructions.

Guides to various Database Projects - some databases are complex and need more
information on managing them then regularly required.

Thx, Dave

Cheap Talk? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low  PC-to-Phone call rates.